MMO1614 - Post-medieval hard at The Gore (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A post-medieval and 20th Century slipway or hard, visible as an augmented natural feature, centred at SS 8555 4846 was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1972. Located on The Gore, the rectilinear feature has been created by clearing the large pebbles from the beach, so that vessels launched and/or recovered from/to the shore and the 20th Century dated ornamental boathouse (MSO7986) on the beach could be done so safely. The cleared area is about 88 metres long and about 11.5 metres wide, though that flares at the seaward end to 15 metres wide. This feature is visible on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, implying that there was an extant launching place at that location prior to the 1880s. The feature was still visible in aerial photographs taken in 1999. [1-4] A rectangular area in front of a boathouse (MSO7986) appears to be have been cleared of shingle to create a sandy beaching area or slipway.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 099 (15 April 1972).
- <2> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8548/12 (18298/14) (19 March 1999).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1886.
- <4>XY SMO7541 Archive: Crowther, S., Dickson, A. and Truscoe, K.. 2007. Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 84 NE. MD000130. [Mapped feature: #40396 ]
- <5> SEM7758 Unpublished document: Various. 1999-. English Heritage/Historic England Field Investigator's Comments. Marcus Jecock, HE Field Investigation, 18 September 2016.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1460091, Extant 21 February 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8555 4842 (35m by 174m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460091 (Original Monarch entry: 1460091)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1111
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE148
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1460091
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18081
Record last edited
Feb 21 2022 11:04AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.