MMO1611 - Medieval strip field east of Selworthy (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Evidence for strip field cultivation, probably of medieval date is visible as linear earthworks on aerial photographs of 1946, in an irregularly shaped field to the east of Selworthy village, centred on circa SS 9238 4645. On the 1946 photography the earthworks appear somewhat eroded, most likely during post-medieval agricultural improvement rather than for cultivation, with widths varying between 3 and 10 metres. Their shape reflects that of the curvilinear field boundaries visible in 1946 and marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance survey map of 1889, a pattern probably fossilising the patterns of medieval strip field cultivation. The removal of these field surrounding boundaries for more intensive arable cultivation had begun by 1970, and was complete by 1976. Evidence for the strip field land organisation continues to be visible as cropmarks in 1976 but ground inspection in July 2007 confirms that they survive only as slight earthworks in the current field's northern boundary. [1-6]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 3104-5 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/70066 015-16 (3 May 1970).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAL 76046 112 (25 June 1976).
- <5> SMO7038 Unassigned: Hegarty, C.. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment. Site visit, 5 July 2007.
- <6>XY SMO7550 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 NW. MD002167. [Mapped feature: #32543 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9238 4645 (136m by 163m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460080 (Original Monarch entry: 1460080)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW216
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460080
Record last edited
Dec 15 2020 12:04PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.