MMO1452 - Medieval or post-medieval ridge and furrow in Porlock Bay (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 8946 4829 Scattered medieval and/or psot-medieval ridge and furrow blocks, visible as earthworks, were mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1941 and 1946. Located to the eastern side of Porlock Bay, between Bossington village and Bossington beach, the scattered blocks of ridge and furrow may represent the remnants of an earlier field pattern. The field pattern in the area around Lower House Farm and Bossington Farm seem to mostly represent post medieval parliamentary enclosure, used for crop planting. However, the isolated blocks of ridge and furrow are visible in earlier, more irregular field enclosures or in the un-farmable marshier area adjacent to the shingle beach. The features were still visible in 1979. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8948/6 (MSO31206/005) (21 June 1941).
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF 106G/UK/1655 3019-3022 (11 July 1946).
- <3> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF 106G/UK/1655 4015 (11 July 1946).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79012 016-017 (17 Apr 1979).
- <5> SMO7541 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 84 NE. MD000130.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8928 4832 (1008m by 1125m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1453869 (Original Monarch entry: 1453869)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA141470 (National Trust HER entry: MNA141470)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 fluvial & tidal
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial & tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial and tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial and tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE139
- National Trust HER Record: MNA141470
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1453869
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (20-50)
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (50-100)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.