MMO1451 - Wreck on Porlock Beach (Maritime)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 8721 4781 A post-medieval or 20th Century wreck, visible as a structure, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1999. Located on Porlock Beach, north-north-east of Porlockford Plantation, an elongated sandfilled feature aligned north-north-east to south-south-west, protrudes from the shingle beach just below the mean low water point. The structure, about 21.7 metres long, consists of two straight sides 9.3 metres wide at the south-south-west end and 7.9 metres wide at the north-north-east end, both ends being rounded. The structure is raised higher at the south-south-east end and has a well defined outline, although the material from which the profile is constructed is not well resolved. The feature was still visible in 2005. [1-4]
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF 106G/UK/1655 3023-3024 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8747/34 (18299/04) (19 March 1999).
- <3> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8747/75 (24028/03) (9 August 2005).
- <4> SMO7541 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 84 NE. MD000130.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8721 4781 (20m by 22m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1453865 (Original Monarch entry: 1453865)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE138
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1453865
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.