MMO1392 - World War Two infantry section post east of Horner Water (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 8932 4851. A Second World War pillbox known as an infantry section post, visible as a structure, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1941. Located on the high water line on the shingle of Bossington Beach immediately east of Horner Water in Porlock Bay, about 550 metres north north west of Lower House Farm, the structure consists of two connected covered linear concrete trenches 10 metres long, forming an arrowhead shape, constructed with a substantial flat concrete roof. Square embrasures are located along each wing facing out to sea. To the rear of the structure, an open area may have contained a light anti-aircraft gun. The structure looks similar to the extant infantry section post in Blue Anchor Bay further east along the coast. The structure was still extant in 1958 but was no longer visible in 1979. [1-6] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8948/5 (MSO31206/04) (21 June 1941).
- <2> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. RAF 58/2555 PSFO/P1 0134 (1 September 1958).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79012 016-017 (17 April 1979).
- <4> SEM7812 Website: Unknown. 2012. Somerset Pillboxes.
- <5> SEM7653 Website: Wikipedia. 2007. Wikipedia: British Hardened Field Defences of WWII.
- <6>XY SMO7541 Archive: Crowther, S., Dickson, A. and Truscoe, K.. 2007. Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 84 NE. MD000130. [Mapped feature: #35178 ]
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1453640, Extant 21 February 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8932 4851 (12m by 12m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1453640 (Original Monarch entry: 1453640)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1393
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE132
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1453640
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Feb 21 2022 10:29AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.