MMO1388 - World War Two infantry section post on Bossington Beach (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A Second World War pillbox known as an infantry section post at SS88464804, visible as a structure, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1941. Located on the high water line on the shingle of Bossington Beach about 860 metres East North East of the duck decoy at Porlock, the 15.5 metres long structure consists of two connected covered linear concrete trenches about 2.5 metres wide forming a very shallow `v' shape, constructed with a substantial flat concrete roof. Square embrasures are located along each wing facing North out to sea. At the centre rear of the structure, an open square area may have contained a light anti-aircraft gun, next to which is the entrance to the structure. In the centre front of the structure is a square roofed extension with a single square embrasure, possibly for use by a machine gun. The structure was still extant in 1958 but was no longer visible in 1979. [1-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8847/4 (MSO31206/008) (27 June 1941).
- <2> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. RAF 58/2555 PSFO/P1 0140 (1 September 1958).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 157-158 (17 April 1979).
- <4> SEM7653 Website: Wikipedia. 2007. Wikipedia: British Hardened Field Defences of WWII.
- <5>XY SMO7541 Archive: Crowther, S., Dickson, A. and Truscoe, K.. 2007. Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 84 NE. MD000130. [Mapped feature: #35176 ]
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1453625, Extant 21 February 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8846 4804 (16m by 10m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1453625 (Original Monarch entry: 1453625)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE131
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1453625
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Feb 21 2022 10:26AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.