MMO1380 - World War Two infantry section post on Porlock/Bossington Beach (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A Second World War hardened field defence at SS 8734 4778, probably an infantry section post, visible as a structure, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1941. Located on the high water line on the shingle of Porlock/Bossington Beach about 480 metres west-north-west of the duck decoy at Porlock, the 15 metres long structure consists of two connected covered linear concrete trenches about 2.5 metres wide forming a very shallow 'v' shape, constructed with a substantial flat concrete roof. Square embrasures are located along each wing facing North North West out to sea. At the centre rear of the structure, an open square area may have contained a light anti-aircraft gun, next to which is the entrance to the structure. In the centre front of the structure is a square roofed extension with a single square embrasure, possibly for use by a machine gun. The structure was still extant in 1958 but was no longer visible in 1979. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR 8747/21 (MSO31206/013) (27 Jun 1941).
- <2> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. RAF 58/2555 PSFO/P1 0145 (1 Sept 1958).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 157-158 (17 Apr 1979).
- <4> SEM7653 Website: 2011. Wikipedia Page: British Hardened Field Defences of WWII.
- <5> SMO7541 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 84 NE. MD000130.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8734 4778 (14m by 11m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1453606 (Original Monarch entry: 1453606)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE127
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1453606
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.