MMO1372 - World War Two type 24 pillbox at Porlock Beach (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 8717 4768 A Second World War type 24 pillbox, visible as a structure, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1941. Located on the high water line on the shingle of Porlock Beach about 440 metres NE of Porlock Vale House, the concrete pillbox is a slightly irregular hexagon, 6 metres at its widest point, with one wall longer than the other five. In 1941 the roof of the pillbox has small raised circular features, of unknown function, over it, but may have been to aid camouflage. The structure was extant in 1958 but no longer visible in 1979. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR 8747/22 (MSO31206/014) (27 June 1941).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 3023-3024 (11 July 1946).
- <3> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. RAF 58/2555 PSFO/P1 0148 (1 September 1958).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 157-158 (17 April 1979).
- <5> SMO7541 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 84 NE. MD000130.
|Grid reference||SS 8716 4767 (point) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1453590 (Original Monarch entry: 1453590)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE123
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1453590
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Jul 11 2016 3:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.