MMO1371 - World War Two infantry section post at Porlock Beach (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A Second World War pillbox at SS 8718 4768, probably an infantry section post, visible as a structure, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1941. Located on the high water line on the shingle of Porlock Beach about 440 metres northeast of Porlock Vale House in Porlock Weir, the 15 metres long structure consists of two covered linear concrete trenches about 2.5 metres wide forming a very shallow `v' shape, constructed with a substantial flat concrete roof, to form a cross shape. Square embrasures are located along each wing facing northnorthwest out to sea. At the centre rear of the structure, an open square area may have contained a light antiaircraft gun, next to which is the entrance to the structure. In the centre front of the structure is a square roofed extension with a single square embrasure, possibly for use by a machine gun. The structure is located immediately next to a type 24 pillbox, about 1 metre to the west. The structure was still extant in 1958 but was no longer visible in 1979. [1-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8747/22 (MSO31206/014) (27 June 1941).
- <2> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. RAF 58/2555 PSFO/P1 0148 (1 September 1958).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 157-158 (17 April 1979).
- <4> SEM7653 Website: Wikipedia. 2007. Wikipedia: British Hardened Field Defences of WWII.
- <5>XY SMO7541 Archive: Crowther, S., Dickson, A. and Truscoe, K.. 2007. Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 84 NE. MD000130. [Mapped feature: #35173 ]
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1453589, Extant 17 February 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8718 4768 (16m by 11m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1453589 (Original Monarch entry: 1453589)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE122
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1453589
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Feb 17 2022 1:30PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.