MMO1370 - World War Two barbed wire obstruction along Porlock and Bossington Beaches (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A Second World War linear barbed wire obstruction at SS 8869 4814, visible as a structure, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1941. Located roughly westsouthwest to eastnortheast along Porlock Beach and Bossington Beach, the barbed wire obstruction, about 3370 metres of barbed wire rolls supported by posts, extends from the hardened field defence infantry section post (SS 8699 4764) about 280 metres below (northnortheast of) Porlock Vale House, along the beach behind the shingle ridge and parallel to the sea, connecting with each beach hardened field defence site or pillbox, until it terminates at the cliff below Hurlstone Point at the northeast end of Bossington Beach (SS 8991 4915). Access to the beach is provided by nine gaps in the wire (SS 8708 4765, SS 8719 4769, SS 8735 4779, SS 8758 4794, SS 8788 4799, SS8815 4799, SS 8841 4803, SS 8917 4840, SS 8933 4851), in each case immediately adjacent to one of the manned beach defence sites, presumably to control access. The structure was no longer visible in 1946. [1-7] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8848/1 (MSO31206/006) (27 June 1941).
- <2> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8948/2-6 (MSO31206/001-005) (27 June 1941).
- <3> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8847/4 (MSO31206/008) (27 June 1941).
- <4> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8747/18-22 (MSO31206/010-014) (27 June 1941).
- <5> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. 106G/UK/1655 3021-3024 (11 July 1946).
- <6> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. 106G/UK/1655 4015 (11 July 1946).
- <7>XY SMO7541 Archive: Crowther, S., Dickson, A. and Truscoe, K.. 2007. Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 84 NE. MD000130. [Mapped features: #35174 ; #35175 ]
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1453588, Extant 17 February 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8845 4833 (2926m by 1673m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1453588 (Original Monarch entry: 1453588)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE121
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1453588
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Feb 17 2022 1:27PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.