MMO1369 - World War Two type 24 pillbox on Porlock Beach (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 8709 4765 A Second World War type 24 pillbox, visible as a structure, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1941. Located on the shingle of Porlock Beach about 430 metres northeast of Porlock Vale House, the concrete pillbox is a slightly irregular hexagon, 6.7 metres at its widest point, with one wall longer than the other five. In 1941 the roof of the pillbox had eight raised circular features, of unknown function but possibly to aid camouflage; seven placed around the edge of the structure and one in the centre of the roof. The structure was extant in 1958 but no longer visible in 1979. [1-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR 8747/22 (MSO31206/014) (27 June 1941).
- <2> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. RAF 58/2555 PSFO/P1 0148 (1 September 1958).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 157-158 (17 April 1979).
- <4>XY SMO7541 Archive: Crowther, S., Dickson, A. and Truscoe, K.. 2007. Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 84 NE. MD000130. [Mapped feature: #47854 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1453587, Extant 17 February 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8709 4765 (9m by 9m)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1453587 (Original Monarch entry: 1453587)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE120
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1453587
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Feb 17 2022 1:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.