MMO1363 - World War Two infantry section post at Porlock Weir (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A Second World War pillbox, known as an infantry section post and centred at SS 8648 4786, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1941. Located on the beachfront adjacent to the lock and quay in Porlock Weir village, the 19 metres long structure consists of two connected covered linear concrete trenches about 3.5 metres wide, forming a very shallow `v' shape constructed with a substantial flat concrete roof. Square embrasures are located along each wing facing north out to sea. At the centre rear of the structure, an open square area may have contained a light anti-aircraft gun, next to which is the entrance to the structure. In the centre front of the structure is a square roofed extension with a single square embrasure, probably for use by a heavy machine gun. The pillbox forms part of an extensive wartime coastal crust defensive network along Porlock Bay. On the 1972 edition of the OS map the site had been turned into a car park and the structure is presumably destroyed. [1-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8647/9 (MSO31206/018) (27 June 1941).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 099 (15 April 1972).
- <3> SEM7653 Website: Wikipedia. 2007. Wikipedia: British Hardened Field Defences of WWII.
- <4>XY SMO7541 Archive: Crowther, S., Dickson, A. and Truscoe, K.. 2007. Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 84 NE. MD000130. [Mapped feature: #35182 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1453580, Extant 17 February 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8648 4786 (21m by 16m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1453580 (Original Monarch entry: 1453580)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE115
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1453580
Record last edited
Feb 17 2022 12:56PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.