MMO1205 - Medieval or post-medieval coastal fish weir on Gore Point [marine] (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The remains of a stone fish weir lie in the intertidal area off Gore Point at SS 8587 4872. It forms part of a complex of fish weirs, first noted from aerial photographs.  The weir is joined to the weir recorded as MSO1204. Both of its arms measure 30 by 4 by 0.8 metres and the sluice is 4 by 1.5 metres. It was surveyed using differential GPS as part of the RCHME Exmoor project.  SS 8587 4872. A stonebuilt medieval and/or post medieval coastal fish weir, centred at SS 8587 4872, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1972. Located in the intertidal area on The Gore the stone fish weir is constructed from heaped beach pebbles and consists of two linear arms, which are spread out to form an inverted V, with a linear opening about 9 metres long and 1.5 metre wide acting as a sluice at the north facing apex. The west arm is about 77 metres long and 11 metres wide. The east arm is about 91 metres long and 7 metres wide. The apex of the structure faces north to the sea, trapping fish on the outgoing tide in the pool formed behind by the area cleared of the beach pebbles used to construct the arms. The fish weir is still visible in aerial photographs taken in 1999. [3-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO858 Article in serial: Burrow, I., Minnitt, S. + Murless, B.. 1980. Somerset Archaeology 1979. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 124. P.134. Tidal fish weirs in West Somerset. R McDonnell..
- <2> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. 1998 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 092 (15 April 1972).
- <4> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8548/12 (18298/14) (19 March 1999).
- <5>XY SMO7539 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SO 71 SW. MD000122. [Mapped feature: #38555 ]
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1183446, Extant 15 February 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8589 4870 (124m by 73m) Aerial Survey|
|HER Area||NATIONAL MARINE HERITAGE RECORD|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1183446 (Original Monarch entry: 1183446)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE92
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1183446
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18093
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33776
Record last edited
Feb 15 2022 12:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.