MMO109 - Clearance cairn on Shallowford Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
(SS 71104389) Hut Circle (NR).  SS 711439. A stoneheap 14 feet in diameter and 1.5 feet high: not a hut circle.  SS 71114389. The feature at this map reference is a small cairn 5.0 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres high. Surveyed at 1:2500.  SS 71114389. This is not a hut circle, a stone heap or a cairn. The topographical situation, on a steep slope almost on top of the Barbrook stream, precludes this feature from being a hut circle or cairn. What appears to have been misinterpreted by the previous authorities is part of the western end of a field wall, about 4m wide and 0.4m high, covered in bracken and rough grass. The wall extends up the slope to the northeast from here for some distance and appears to be part of a prehistoric or later field system extending across Shallowford Common to the north (see MMO108).  A small circular mound is visible on aerial photographs at this location, at the western edge of the Prehistoric field system on Shallowford Common. It appears from the photograph that as well as the field wall, a clearance cairn has been constructed at this location, which has merged into the wall. 
- --- SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SMO4578 Monograph: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Archaeology of Exmoor: Bideford Bay to Bridgewater. David and Charles Limited. 195.
- <3> SMO4103 Monograph: Page, W. (editor). 1906. The Victoria History of the County of Devon. Archibald Constable and Company, Limited (London). 1. 629.
- <4> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. MJ Fletcher, 9 September 1974.
- <5> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 3089-90 08-NOV-1952.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7111 4388 (6m by 5m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35415 (Original Monarch entry: 35415)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12239
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/31
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE1301
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20292
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW31
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35415
Record last edited
Jul 9 2013 11:24AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.