MEM9 - Prehistoric standing stone above Hoscombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A standing stone, SS 8247 4405, is located in an area of rough grass and heather on rising ground above Hoscombe, at circa 385m above OD. The stone is orientated north-south and is soundly set but with a pronounced lean to the north. It stands 0.2m high, 0.3m wide and is 0.12m thick, but show signs that the top section may have been broken off at some point. A small erosion hollow was recorded 3m to the south-east and may represent the position of a further stone which has now been lost. The stone is most probably of late prehistoric date and could represent a single monument or, combined with the evidence of the erosion hollow, have formed part of a paired stone setting. Alternatively, both these features may have been part of a larger linear stone setting in conjunction with MEM8.  The feature was recorded at 1:2500 scale using differential GPS as part of an archaeological survey of the Larkbarrow area. The survey was undertaken by the Exeter office of English Heritage at the request of the Exmoor National Park Authority. A client report was produced as part of the survey work and is available from the NMRC, Swindon. [2,3] It is suspected that the damage to the top of the stone is caused by a vehicle, although frost damage is also a possibility.  No stone was visible at the recorded location following two separate site visits (October, and August). It is likely obscured by the vegetation or tussocks on this hillslope, as there are no apparent threats to its condition and it was recorded in the 2009 survey.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1>XY SMO7314 Unpublished document: JAMIESON, EJ. Field Investigators Comments. [Mapped feature: #47412 ]
- <2> SMO7532 Archive: Jamieson, E. and Riley, H.. 2000-2001. Larkbarrow Farm, Somerset. AF1350534.
- <3> SEM4 Report: Jamieson, E.. 2001. Larkbarrow Farm, Exmoor, Somerset.
- <4> SSO806 Survey: Blackmore O A. 2002. Condition Survey of Standing Stones on Exmoor National Park Authority Owned Land.
- <5> SEM8523 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018. MEM9.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1340697, Extant 21 July 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 8247 4405 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1340697 (Original Monarch entry: 1340697)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10152
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW157
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1340697
- Somerset SMR PRN: 15217
Record last edited
Jul 21 2021 9:36AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.