MEM25026 - Jasmine Cottage, Allerford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Tithe Map for Selworthy shows a building sited at SS 9070 4686, facing a road junction to the south. It is labelled 242, and the Apportionment states it is a house with barton and garden (the barton appears to be a detached rectangular building to the east, at c. SS 9074 4684).  The building is shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map with a small outbuilding to the rear (SS 9071 4687). The "barton" building has been removed. The building is labelled "Cross Lane".  The house is shown on the 2021 MasterMap, and appears to have been slightly extended to the rear. It is labelled "Jasmine Cottage". The small outbuilding to the rear still appears to be extant.  The National Trust Heritage Record entry suggests the house may be late medieval, originally in the form of a three cell cross passage house with a parlour at the western end. See External Links for further information. There is a late 19th Century garden store and privy to the rear (small outbuilding shown on  but not on an 1876 Holnicote Estate map). 
- <1>XY SEM7926 Map: 1841. Selworthy Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 242. [Mapped feature: #47320 Possible barton building, ]
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Sheet 34(2).
- <3>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped features: #47318 Cross passage house, ; #47319 Garden store and privy, ]
- <4> SEM8305 Archive: National Trust. National Trust Heritage Records. MNA139911.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9072 4685 (54m by 43m) (3 map features)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA139911 (National Trust Heritage Record entry: MNA139911)
- National Trust HER Record: MNA139911
Record last edited
Oct 18 2021 3:12PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.