MEM25023 - Post-medieval designed landscape at Venne House (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
An area of gardens and landscaping is visible on historic mapping around the area of the demolished country house. Some of the boundaries and features shown on the mapping still apprear to be extant. It is likely that the area of designed landscape extends beyond the mapped extent. The Tithe Map Apportionment  describes the land use in the parcels in the immediate area of the house as "Pleasure Gardens etc" and "Plantations". [1-4] Venne House was presumably built in the 19th Century and was demolished in the 1970s. The house is shown on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 1 inch mapping of 1802-3 . The main drive entered from the east and swept around to approach the house from the south. At SS 9910 3082 in a dense laurel plantation are traces of the former gardens. These include a header pond and circular pond with central island, all revetted in quartz blocks.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The gardens are also shown on the Ordnance Survey 1 inch map. 
- <1> SSO674 Map: 1839. Upton Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcels 26-30.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
- <4> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 14 June 2021.
- <5> SEM8613 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1802. Ordnance Survey Drawings - Minehead 16. 1:21,120. Pen and Ink.
- <6> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8 September 1998.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1175255, Updated 15 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9905 3080 (272m by 259m)|
|Civil Parish||UPTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SE105
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1175255
Record last edited
Jun 15 2021 12:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.