MEM25021 - Venne House, Upton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A large house within an area of landscaped gardens and outbuildings is shown on the Tithe Map for Upton at SS 9902 3082. It is labelled "Venne". The land parcel is labelled 28, which the Apportionment describes as "Venne: House, Garden and Barton", owned and occupied by Silas Wood Blake esq.  The house is shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The house is no longer shown on the 2021 MasterMap data. A building labelled "Venne Farm" has been constructed slightly to the southeast, at SS 9902 3081; this may or may not have incorporated fabric from the previous structure.  The site of Venne House is centred at SS 9904 3081 and is now occupied by a bungalow. The house was presumably built in the 19th Century and was demolished in the 1970s (local information). However, a building is shown at this location on the Ordnance Survey 1st edition 1 inch mapping of 1802-3 and called `Four Chimnies'. [4,5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  Venne House is shown on the six inch Ordnance Survey map of 1962-3.  The house is no longer shown on the 25 inch 1973 Ordnance Survey map.  A testator named William Blake, who was a barrister at law, lived at Venne. His probate is dated 9 May 1832. He left his property to his ward, Silas Wood Norman, who was also permitted by the King to take his surname. [9-11]
- <1> SSO674 Map: 1839. Upton Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 28.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
- <4> SEM8613 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1802. Ordnance Survey Drawings - Minehead 16. 1:21,120. Pen and Ink.
- <5> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8 September 1998.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1175255, Updated 15 June 2021.
- <7> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:10,560, 1962-3.
- <8> SEM7722 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1973. 1:2500. 1:25,000.
- <9> SEM340823 Unpublished document: Unknown. 1832. Will of William Blake of Upton, Somerset.
- <10> SEM8182 Serial: 1669. London Gazette. P 2419, 20 October 1832.
- <11> SEM340824 Article on website: Kipp, E.. 2013. Will of William Blake Esquire, Upton, Somerset - The National Archives PROB 11/1799/186, probated 9 May 1832.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9902 3082 (37m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||UPTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SE105
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1175255
Record last edited
Jun 15 2021 10:22AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.