MEM24990 - Post-medieval outbuildings at Hollam House (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Hollam House (MEM21905) was rebuilt in Victorian times on the site of an older building. After World War Two, it was partly pulled down and much altered in size and shape.  A small land holding at Hollam (Holme) is mentioned in the Gheld Inquest (1084) and Domesday Survey (1086), implying a possible small settlement. The residence is also mentioned in the 1327 lay subsidy. Any early settlement or farmstead is likely to be on or close to the site of the post-medieval Hollam House.  Hollam House, once the site of a Saxon holding, has been preceded by many different buildings and has been owned by several different families, including the Sydenhams, Beagues and Mildmays.  The Tithe Map for Dulverton shows a group of outbuildings to the west of the contemporary Hollam House, centred at c. SS 9190 2844.  By the time the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, most of the outbuildings had been removed. It is, however, possible that the northernmost buildings were incorporated into the western end of the house itself (MEM21905). A further group of outbuildings had been constructed to the northwest of Hollam House, centred at SS 9188 2849, with a new access route constructed from the road to the east to facilitate them.  The layout shown on the 1st Edition map is similarly depicted on the 25 inch 2nd Edition map.  The majority of the outbuildings shown on the 2nd Edition map are visible on the 2021 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM7521 Monograph: Binding, H. + Bonham-Carter, V.. 1986. Old Dulverton and Around: Dulverton - Bury - Brushford - Exebridge. The Exmoor Press. P.20, 21, Photo.
- <2> SEM7096 Article in monograph: Gathercole, C.. 2003. English Heritage Extensive Urban Survey: An Archaeological Assessment of Dulverton. The Somerset Urban Archaeological Survey. English Heritage. P.12, 14.
- <3> SEM7523 Monograph: Dulverton and District Civic Society. 2002. The Book of Dulverton, Brushford, Bury and Exebridge. Halsgrove. P.21, 23, 54, 123, 137, Photograph.
- <4> SSO187 Map: 1838. Dulverton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9190 2848 (118m by 125m)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Apr 20 2021 1:22PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.