MEM24943 - 20th Century golf course at Lee Abbey (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Lee Abbey house was converted into a hotel after 1921. A golf course was set out around the hotel in the unenclosed parkland. The hotel company went bankrupt in the 1930s.  SS 698 492. The remains of a field system at Lee Abbey.The system was seen by McDonnell as a miscellaneous group of earthworks, parchmarks, linear and ring shaped banks and platforms on aerial photographs  around Lee Abbey and thought to be possibly associated with a disused golf course.  Some of the earthwork features recorded under MDE11247 may or may not relate to the golf course. [4,5]
- <1> SEM8504 Report: Riley, H. 2017. Assessment and Metric Survey of Archaeological Features at Lee Abbey, Exmoor National Park Project Report. 6.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK 1655/3155-57 (11 July 1946).
- <3> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6949a.
- <4> SDE92858 Leaflet: Purdon, R.. 1985. A Brief History of Lee Abbey.
- <5> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 30 March 1994.
|Grid reference||SS 6979 4920 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Mar 1 2022 11:50AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.