MEM24800 - Possible Roman Road east of Elworthy (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Somerset HER records the course of a potential Roman Road from Exeter to Watchet, identified through examination of LiDAR data. Part of the suggested route runs to the east of Elworthy, south to north between ST 0874 3473 and ST 0869 3618, before following the existing routeway north and then diverging at ST 0862 3654 to continue in a northnorthwesterly direction. It is not clear how confident the mapping of this section of the road is from the data supplied. [1,2] The Roman Road was recorded via LiDAR analysis and subsequent field walking. The northern fields within the Exmoor section of the road were noted to show the feature more clearly than the southern section.  The proposed route of a section of the road near Springwater Farm was subject to a field visit and trial trenching in February/March 2020 as part of a planning application. No archaeological deposits were exposed within either of the trenches excavated and no finds were recovered. 
- <1> SEM8552 Archive: South West Heritage Trust. 1977-. Somerset Historic Environment Record. PRN 39966.
- <2> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 12 November 2019.
- <3> SEM340758 Unpublished document: Kaye, S.. 2019. Re: Roman Road near Elworthy.
- <4> SEM340757 Report: Pink, F., Hughes, S. and Simmonds, V.. 2020. Springwater Farm, Elworthy, Lydeard St Lawrence, Somerset: Statement of archaeological potential and impact and results of trial trenching.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0867 3566 (156m by 1860m)|
|Civil Parish||ELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.somersetheritage.org.uk/record/39966 (Somerset HER entry: 39966)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Apr 20 2021 2:09PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.