MEM24720 - Comer's Adit (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
5.1.11, SS 7516 3800. Comer's Adit was started on 2 February 1956 by the Dowlais Company, who hoped to intersect Rogers' lode. This was unsuccessful and the level was abandoned in December 1856. It was driven for 137 metres, including the length of open cutting approaching the adit entrance. It was completely blocked in 1995.  The feature is depicted as an earthwork on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  McDonnell transcribed the feature as one of three irregular shaped areas of quarrying or mining in the 1980s. [3-5] The feature can be seen on aerial photography dating from the 2010s. [6-8] The site was recorded at SS 75165 38006 using GPS in 2010. 
- <1> SEM7068 Report: Exmoor Mines Research Group. 1995. Report on the safety condition of disused mine workings on lands owned by Exmoor National Park Department and other lands nearby. 5.1.11 p10.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 3450 (April 1947).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. HSL/UK/71-167 75/7603 (September 1971).
- <5> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7538A.
- <6>XY SEM8039 Aerial photograph: Getmapping. 2013. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park. [Mapped feature: #46253 Comer's Adit, ]
- <7> SEM8415 Aerial photograph: Getmapping. 2015. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park.
- <8> SEM8520 Aerial photograph: Getmapping. 2017. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park.
- <9> SEM8715 Unpublished document: Harley, M.. 2010. Disused Mine Workings within the Authority's Estate.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7516 3803 (38m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Oct 16 2019 12:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.