MEM24715 - White House, White House Cottage and Riverside, Exford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A building is shown on the Tithe Map for Exford at SS 8519 3835. It is labelled 924, which the Apportionment describes as "White House Homestead", owned by Charles Purchase and occupued by William Moules Senior.  By the time the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, the building had been much extended to the northwest and southeast.  The larger building is again shown on the 25 inch 2nd Edition map, except it is shown subdivided into three.  This layout is repeated on the 2018 MasterMap data. The central building is named "White House", the northwestern one "White House Cottage" and the southeastern section "Riverside".  White House was a Temperence Hotel owned by Mr Wensley, but was bought by Anthony Huxtable, Hunstman of the Devon and Somerset Staghounds, on his retirement [in 1901]. 
- <1> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 924.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM8686 Monograph: Hamilton, C.M.. 1953. A history of Exford. N/A. 1st Edition. 28, .
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8519 3836 (29m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Jul 31 2019 5:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.