MEM24714 - The Green, Exford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
The Tithe Map for Exford shows a field in the centre of the village at SS 8529 3842. It is labelled 1198, which the accompanying Apportionment names "Great Meadow", a meadow owned by William Moules Senior and occupied by William Moules Junior.  The field is shown on the 25 inch 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps, labelled 911. [2,3] The site is labelled The Green on 2018 MasterMap data. A section on the western side has been partitioned off and is labelled as a playground.  In the 19th Century the recreation ground was surrounded by a wall and was known as Fair Meadow or Fair Field. Wrestling would take place on Fair Meadow against other villages. On 14th August the Fair and Sheep Auction would be held on Fair Field. Attendees could buy sweets and toys and go on swings and roundabouts. Ponies were also shown and sold here. The Horse Show that began in 1881 became so large that the Fair was postponed to a later date. In 1906 Fair Meadow was purchased as a recreation ground. A Flower and Produce Show began around that time. 
- <1> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 1198.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM8686 Monograph: Hamilton, C.M.. 1953. A history of Exford. N/A. 1st Edition. 27, 29-30, 41-2.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8529 3843 (135m by 134m)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 3:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.