MEM24711 - St Mary Magdalene's Churchyard, Exford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The graveyard in use since medieval times.  Remains of a late 13th Century cross (base and shaft) to the east of the south porch of church. The remains are as illustrated by Pooley.  The cross is a listed building. An old cottage stood at the church gate. Pulled down c. 1881. It used to serve as the parish poor house. It contained parts of the wall of the church which was taken down at the time of the Reformation.  The church and churchyard appear little altered in plan since the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed. [5,6] A church has stood on this site since long before the Norman Conquest.  In 1645, 34 people were buried after dying from the plague in Exford, 14 in August; otherwise, the average was 5 a year.  Miss May Aston, of Court House, is celebrated on the churchyard gate. 
- <1> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council staff comments. M Aston, Somerset County Council, 30 November 1976.
- <2> SSO1792 Monograph: Pooley, C. 1877. Old Stone Crosses of Somerset. 122.
- <3> SSO1685 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1965. SS83NE. 3.
- <4> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 46 (1900), part 1, 27-8.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6>XY SEM8512 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #46244 ]
- <7> SEM7513 Monograph: Prabhu, S.S.. 1992. Churches on Exmoor. The Duke of Edinburgh's Award Croydon. 47-51.
- <8> SSO1909 Monograph: Savage, J.. 1830. A History of the Hundred of Carhampton. 540-543.
- <9> SEM7985 Serial: Exmoor Society. 1959-present. Exmoor Review. Volume 40 (1999), "St Mary Magdalene, Exford", p66-68 (E Holloway).
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8576 3850 (122m by 76m)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Church Heritage Record ID: 601464
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MSO11247
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10636
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6708
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE2
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35706
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31122
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33588
Record last edited
Aug 14 2019 5:47PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.