MEM24710 - Rocky Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Water was supplied to Shoulsbury Farm (now Shoulsbarrow, MDE21829) from a diversion above the Hammerland Valley, down through Rocky Lane feeding first a millpond, then passing via filter beds to the farmhouse and buildings. The lane is recorded as being "a rock garden on a grand scale", having running water and many interesting plants and other wildlife. It was filled in before 1990 by the new owner of Shoulsbarrow Farm, Mr David Holland, a London businessman.  The routeway is shown on the Tithe Map for Challacombe. The entrance from the farmstead is very wide, beginning at c. SS 6922 4007 before narrowing at SS 6932 4001 and leading east until reaching the common land at SS 6968 3995. It is labelled 666a, which the Apportionment describes as "Common Roads in Sashbury Town Place" (Waste and Roads), owned by the Earl Hugh Fortescue and occupied by Susanna Lancey and Richard Dallyn.  The routeway is shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. It has been narrowed at the western end. A pond is shown at SS 6932 4000; this may be the mill pond referred to in .  The lane is not depicted on 2018 MasterMap data. The western end of the site has been completely relandscaped and developed. 
- <1> SEM7985 Serial: Exmoor Society. 1959-present. Exmoor Review. Volume 35 (1994), "The Shoulsbury Story", p20-23 (G Huxtable).
- <2>XY SEM7724 Map: 1839. Challacombe Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 666a. [Mapped feature: #46243 ]
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6945 4002 (480m by 152m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Jul 31 2019 9:18AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.