MEM24698 - 19th Century building east of Exford Bridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A rectangular outbuilding is shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map at .  The building is also shown on the 25 inch 2nd Edition map.  The site is clear on the Tithe Map for Exford.  The building appears to be extant on aerial photographs taken by the Royal Air Force in 1946-8.  The building is not shown on 2018 MasterMap data.  An illustration drawn by John William North for an article by Richard Jefferies in 1883 depicts the building as a wooden structure with a thatched roof. [6,7]
- <1>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #46225 ]
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <5> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <6> SEM8680 Monograph: Lauder, R.A.. 1993. Exmoor travellers. Alan Sutton Publishing Limited. 1st Edition. 69.
- <7> SEM8683 Article in serial: Jefferies, R.. 1888. Summer in Somerset. The English Illustrated Magazine. 5, 1887-1888. p35-46. 39.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8528 3835 (10m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Jul 24 2019 4:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.