MEM24692 - Post-medieval routeway and possible quarry north of Combe Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Tithe Map for Withycombe depicts a roadway leading from Combe Lane to Withypool Hill, between ST 0113 4073 and ST 0098 4089.  By the time the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, the northern section of the routeway had been closed off and had been incorporated into the neighbouring fields. The central section, at ST 0104 4079 is marked as an old quarry. It is not clear whether this was a misinterpretation of the remains of the road or (more likely from the earthworks) if the site was indeed quarried. It is also not clear if quarrying commenced and then the road was closed, or whether the road was closed and then quarried; if the latter, it should also be determined if the road was closed to facilitate quarrying or whether advantage was taken of the road being closed to remove material from the site. The remaining southern section of the routeway is still shown, although somewhat altered. [2,3] The layout shown on the 1st Edition map is repeated on the 2nd Edition map.  The southern routeway section is shown as subdivied on the 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO712 Map: 1840. Withycombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 26 June 2019.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0104 4080 (194m by 173m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Mar 3 2020 2:52PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.