MEM24665 - Undated enclosure south of Week Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A square enclosure is visible in the corner of a field at SS 91356 32989, southsouthwest of Week Farm near Bridgetown. It is approximately 75 by 50 metres and is possibly in the form of an inner bank, with a ditch and then another bank on the outward side. It is possible there is a final outbounding ditch. The northern and eastern sides have been truncated by extant field boundaries; the northern boundary kinks to accommodate the enclosure. The feature was not visible on accessible aerial photographs.  The feature is not depicted on the Tithe Map for Winsford, nor on the 25 inch 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. The 2018 field pattern here was in place by the time the Tithe Map was surveyed. It is, however, of note that the Tithe Map apportionment names this field "Castle Close" (land parcel reference 905). [2-5] The feature is clearly visible on the 1946-8 aerial photographs of the site. 
- <1> SEM8656 Unpublished document: Kaye, S.. 2019. South of Week Farm, Bridgetown - odd enclosure.
- <2> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 905.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <6> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9134 3298 (113m by 83m)|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Jun 6 2019 2:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.