MEM24607 - Post-medieval leat at Edbrooke (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The feature is not shown on the Tithe Map for Winsford.  A pond is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map at SS 9082 3418, which appears to have been fed by a stream and a spring shown on modern MasterMap data. This pond fed a leat which ran east to Edbrooke, running to the south of the hamlet before emptying into the Exe. [2,3] The pond and leat are also depicted on the 2nd Edition map.  The 1946-8 aerial photographs taken by the RAF also show the leat as an earthwork feature.  The leat is not depicted on modern MasterMap data.  A water wheel is recorded at Edbrooke Mill (MSO8585) and it is possible that the leat fed this wheel. 
- <1> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 19 November 2018.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9099 3418 (369m by 40m)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Dec 11 2018 1:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.