MEM24257 - Bessom Cottage (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Bessom Cottage and associated outbuildings is shown on the Tithe Map and 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps within a small enclosed area at SS 9756 3177. It is labelled 314 on the Tithe Map, which the accompanying Apportionment describes as "Bessom Farm, Court Gardens etc", owned by John Tarr and occupied by John Smith. [1-3] The cottage and associated features are no longer shown, with the site being on the shore of Wimbleball Lake.  The lake was constructed between 1947 and 1979. Bessom Cottage was submerged when the Reservoir was created. It had c. 0.5 acres of garden with a 3 or 4 bay linhay. There were no mains services in the cottage and was a rent free tied property. It was built of stone with a slate roof, comprising living room, kitchen and large pantry, with steep stairs up to three bedrooms and a bathroom. The website Everything Exmoor includes a photograph of the property supplied by David Hart, who was a previous resident of the house. 
- <1> SSO76 Map: 1841. Kings Brompton Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch. Land parcel 314.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM8562 Website: Various. 2001-2018. Everything Exmoor website. http://www.everythingexmoor.org.uk/encylopedia-exmoor-detail.php?id=1090; viewed 29 May 2018.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9756 3176 (73m by 106m)|
|Historic Parish||KINGS BROMPTON|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.everythingexmoor.org.uk/encylopedia-exmoor-detail.php?id=1090 (Everything Exmoor website, Source 5)
- None recorded
Record last edited
May 29 2018 3:02PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.