MEM24177 - Post-medieval rectangular enclosure in southwest corner of Halscombe Allotment (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 81610 32810. A regular rectangular enclosure lies in the southwest corner of Halscombe Allotment, north of Upper Willingford Corner. The enclosure measures 350 metres northeast to southwest and 300 metres northwest to southeast and is formed by a ditch 2.5 metres wide and 0.6 metres deep on the southeast side and a bank, 3 metres wide, 0.5 metres high with a ditch 1.8 metres wide and 0.6 metres deep on the northeastern side. The northwestern and southwestern sides may have been formed by a tributary stream of the Dane's Brook and the Dane's Brook, or the enclosure may not have been completed. Several hollow ways (MMO3179) are overlain by the enclosure which is clearly a later feature.  The southeastern and northeastern sides were previously transcribed by the National Mapping Project as part of MMO3179 and have also been recorded by McDonnell. [2,3]
- <1> SEM8544 Report: Riley, H.. 2018. Archaeological walkover survey: Halscombe Allotments, Humber's Ball, Hawkridge Plain & Old Barrow Down, Withypool & Hawkridge, Exmoor. HWH17003, p5.
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography.
- <3> SEM7987 Archive: English Heritage. National Monuments Record / AMIE / Monarch entry - viewable via Pastscape. 1491956.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8172 3301 (353m by 435m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Parent of: Post-medieval clearance cairn in southwest corner of Halscombe Allotment (Monument) (MEM24175)
- Parent of: Post-medieval clearance cairn in southwest corner of Halscombe Allotment (Monument) (MEM24176)
- Parent of: Post-medieval clearance cairn within rectangular enclosure on Halscombe Allotment (Monument) (MEM24178)
- Parent of: Post-medieval clearance cairn within rectangular enclosure on Halscombe Allotment (Monument) (MEM24179)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1491956 (Pastscape entry: 1491956)
- Mires Feature Reference (Monument) (Halscombe etc): HWH17003
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW101
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1491956
Record last edited
May 15 2018 10:44AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.