MEM23978 - Blue Gate Signpost (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map depicts and labels a Guide Post at Blue Gate, at c. SS 7580 3766.  A guide post is still extant at Blue Gate, apparently in the same position. It is likely to be a replacement. [2,3] The signpost was visited in August 2017 as part of the Exmoor Signpost Project 2017-8. It has a pyramidal finial which says "S C C". The fingers of the post are as below: WINTERSHEAD / HORSEN SOUTH MOLTON 9 1/2 SIMONSBATH 1/2 It then features a location collar stating BLUE GATE. The post states SOMERSET SHELDON WELLS. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2>XY SEM8512 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #44003 Current location of signpost, ]
- <3> SEM8532 Report: Blaylock, S.. 2017. Historic buildings survey of Simonsbath House Hotel, Simonsbath, Exmoor. DSC_6222 to DSC_9226, photographic archive.
- <4> SEM8519 Unpublished document: Various. 2017-8. Exmoor and West Somerset Main Signpost Survey. EM1.
|Grid reference||SS 7580 3766 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Signpost Project 2017-8 (D): EM1
Record last edited
Aug 7 2018 10:33AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.