MEM23834 - Lynton Cricket Ground (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The Lynton and Lynmouth Cricket Club was established in 1876. Its ground is situated in the centre of the Valley of Rocks.  The cricket ground was levelled in the 1890s. The pavilion building was thatched until it was burned by arsonists in the 1990s. The wall around what is now the cricket pitch enclosed the rabbit warren. Stones for walls and gateposts around the valley were robbed from the Bronze Age and Iron Age settlement near the roundabout.  The area currently labelled "The Warren" and "Cricket Ground" on modern mapping data is sited at SS 7097 4980. This area is simply labelled "The Warren" on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps and it is not clear at what stage it became used by the cricket club. A small building is depicted in the corner of the plot on the 1st Edition map (MEM23833) and may or may not have been in use by the club, but had apparently become ruinous by the time the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, at which time what is now the Sports Pavilion at SS 7095 4986; the plan form of this latter structure appears to have been little altered since this time. [3-5]
- <1> SEM8464 Website: Unknown. 2017. Lynton and Lynmouth Cricket Club website.
- <2> SEM8462 Monograph: Binding, H., Pearce, B. and Pugsley, S.. 2001. Exmoor Century: A century of change through fascinating historic and contemporary photographs of Exmoor. Exmoor Books. 85, 86.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7097 4981 (272m by 159m) MasterMap|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
Record last edited
Mar 1 2022 11:50AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.