MEM23833 - Post-medieval building east of Castle Rock Cottage (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The site is shown as a clear area in the corner of a plot named "Warren field" on the Tithe Map for Lynton and Lynmouth (see MEM23831).  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows a small rectangular building sited in the extreme corner of the field at SS 7084 4981.  The building seems to have been ruinous by the time the 2nd Edition map was surveyed.  The building appears to have been completely demolished by the time the site was photographed by the Royal Air Force in 1946-8.  It is not clear whether the building was associated with the Lynton and Lynmouth Cricket Club's use of the site. The club was established in 1876 and the current pavilion was constructed at some point between the 1st and 2nd Edition maps being surveyed. [2,3,5]
- <1> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM8464 Website: Unknown. 2017. Lynton and Lynmouth Cricket Club website.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7084 4981 (9m by 11m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.