MEM23821 - Possible mining remains west of Pennycombe Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Aerial photographs dating to 1947 and 1971 show a series of irregular quarried depressions and terracing along the western side of Pennycombe. [1-3] Two of the transcribed features, at SS 8383 3718 and SS 8385 3708, are shown on historic mapping. [4,5] The earthworks are directly to the northwest of Blackland Iron Mine and may be associated with it.  The Exmoor National Mapping Project noted a possible quarry at SS 8377 3726, associated with what were thought to be post-medieval footpaths (see MMO3026). This "quarry" is one of the features transcribed by McDonnell. [1,7,8]
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8337a.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 3318 (April 1947).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. HSL/UK/71-178 83/9306 (September 1971).
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Catherine Dove, 5 April 2017.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3316-7 (11 April 1947).
- <8> SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8385 3719 (219m by 297m) Aerial survey|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 2:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.