MEM23807 - Chibbett Cottage, Exford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Tithe Map for Exford shows a clear plot in this location.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows a building situated in the northeastern corner of the crossroads at Chibbet, within a small enclosure at SS 8430 3776. The property is labelled Chibbet Cottage and faces southeast. It is symettrical and a boundary runs through the centre of the enclosure and building, suggesting it may have been two semi detached houses. An Ordnance Survey benchmark is marked on the enclosure wall at c. SS 8430 3775.  By the time the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, some small alterations and additions had been completed on the Cottage, including the creation of some outbuildings forming an L to the rear of the property at SS 8429 3777. It is not clear whether the house was still subdivided at this stage (if it was before).  The property was still extant when aerial photographs of the site were taken by the Royal Air Force in 1946-8.  The building and its enclosure are no longer extant. 
- <1> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <5> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8430 3776 (49m by 36m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 2:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.