MEM23764 - Post-medieval quarries on Halscombe Allotment (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Two earthwork features labelled "Old Quarry" are noted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map at SS 8172 3308 and SS 8164 3301.  The features are depicted but not labelled on the 2nd Edition map.  Modern Ordnance Survey map data depicts both features, which are labelled "Quarry (disused)".  SS 81736 33087. A large, disused quarry lies inside the enclosure MEM24177 in the southwest corner of Halscombe Allotment. The quarry pit is 10 metres north to south, 15 metres east to west and 2.4 metres deep and is marked as "Old Quarry" on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. SS 81746 33070. A subrectangular, turf covered stony mound lies to the south of the quarry. It is 9 metres long, 3.5 metres wide and 0.5 metres high and is probably a spoil mound associated with the quarry. SS 81654 33014. A large, disused quarry lies inside the enclosure MEM24177 in the southwest corner of Halscombe Allotment. The quarry pit is 11 metres north to south, 14.5 metres east to west and 2 metres deep and is marked as "Old Quarry" on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. [1,4]
- <1>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890, Somerset 56(7). [Mapped features: #43402 Quarry, ; #43403 Quarry, ]
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <4>XY SEM8544 Report: Riley, H.. 2018. Archaeological walkover survey: Halscombe Allotments, Humber's Ball, Hawkridge Plain & Old Barrow Down, Withypool & Hawkridge, Exmoor. HWH17008, HWH17009 and HWH17012, p6. [Mapped feature: #44472 Spoil heap, HWH17009]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8169 3304 (110m by 93m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Mires Feature Reference (Monument) (Halscombe etc): HWH17008
- Mires Feature Reference (Monument) (Halscombe etc): HWH17009
- Mires Feature Reference (Monument) (Halscombe etc): HWH17012
Record last edited
May 15 2018 10:43AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.