MEM23747 - South Ley, Exford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The site is shown as a clear plot on the Tithe Map for Exford, adjacent to a trackway leading to Lea.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows a farmstead at SS 8425 3857 with a house facing the main road and some outbuildings to the rear (northeast) forming a small yard. A well is marked adjacent to the northwestern gable of the house. The site is labelled South Ley.  The same arrangement is repeated on the 2nd Edition map.  Since the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, a few further buildings have been added at the rear (north) of the site.  The site was visited in February 1997. It was stated that it included a 20th Century bungalow and a few late 19th Century buildings.  The house fronting the site is a bungalow. It therefore appears that the original house may have been replaced, even though it occupies the same footprint as the original. [4,6]
- <1> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 612.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 218.
- <6> SEM8076 Website: Google. 2014 -. Google Maps. Street View, 7 December 2016.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8425 3859 (66m by 60m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 218
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 2:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.