MEM23624 - Demolished buildings southeast of Winsford Village Hall (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The site is shown as a clear plot on the Tithe Map for Winsford.  Two buildings are depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map at c. SS 9063 3496 and SS 9062 3495. At this time, the Exford Road ran to their west to meet bridge MSO8547 in order to cross the Winn Brook.  The buildings described above are also shown on the 2nd Edition map, joined by a further building to the north at c. SS 9063 3497.  Aerial photographs taken by the Royal Air Force in 1946-8 show the new Exford Road had been constructed to the east of the site by this time; however, due to the quality of the image it is not clear if the buildings were still extant or had been removed as part of these works. They have, however, been demolished and are no longer shown on modern MasterMap data. [4,5]
- <1> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 615.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <5> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9062 3496 (11m by 44m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Jun 29 2016 12:48PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.