MEM23613 - Rose Cottage, Halse Lane, Winsford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A house is depicted on the Tithe Map for Winsford at c. SS 9053 3473, which has an L shaped plan, fronting Halse Lane to the east and with a deeper, square shaped part to the building at the southern end. The building abuts another house to the south, which is occupied separately. The property sits within a small triangular enclosure, with another small structure to the north at the house at c. SS 9053 3475; it is not clear if this latter structure is within the same land parcel or within the ownership of the property to the north. The triangular enclosure is labelled 651, which the accompanying Apportionment document states is a house and garden owned by John Hinham and occupied by William Court.  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, the thinner northern section of the house had been demolished, leaving a square building with some small extensions on its northern and southern elevations. The house to the south of the property had also been demolished and its land incorporated into the northern holding. The northern small extension is not depicted on the 2nd Edition map. This arrangement is repeated on modern MasterMap data, where the property is labelled Rose Cottage. [2-4] Rose Cottage is 19th Century or earlier and has a late 19th Century porch with coloured marginal glazing bars.  The Winsford Archive includes a historic photograph of Rose Cottage. 
- <1> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 651.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6960 Report: Fisher, J.. 2005. Winsford: Village Character Appraisal. 17.
- <6> SEM8357 Archive: Winsford History Society. Various. Winsford Archive.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9053 3474 (11m by 17m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Oct 5 2020 12:43PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.