MEM23584 - Gay's Cottage and Steep Cottage, The Steep, Winsford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Tithe Map shows an L shaped building that fronts The Steep and appears to still be extant. It does not appear to have been subdivided at this point (although this is possible) but it is shown as such by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was drawn up and continues to be on later editions until the present day. The Tithe Map shows that it is within a land parcel that also contains a small building to the east, at c. SS 9055 3496, which was apparently still extant by the time the 2nd Edition map was created but has since been demolished. This land parcel contains two label numbers, 624 and 624a, and it is not clear which number pertains to which building, although it seems that 624 may relate to the small eastern building. 624 is described in the Apportionment document as "Bakers House etc" and 624a as "Blackmore's House etc". Both were owned and occupied by John Tapp. [1-4] The Cottage retains some vernacular features, such as a front projecting chimney, shouldered to eaves level and with a tall rendered stack, indicating an 18th Century or earlier date. Note: The report states that the chimney is situated on Gay's Cottage but provides an accompanying photograph which shows the chimney is on Steep Cottage.  In 1927 when the Acland Estate was sold, Steep Cottage was purchased by Reverend George Swift for £180. The tenant in occupation at the time was named on the conveyance as Mr William Gay, who worked for the Reverend as a "parson's man," looking after the garden at the Vicarage. The house was split into two properties by 1937 when the Land family moved in, when the original cottage was known as "Gay's Cottage". At that time, Steep Cottage was just two main rooms downstaire, one having an inglenook fireplace that house a large range. The other room had a blocked up chimney that was later reinstated. The floor downstairs were stone.  An historic photograph of the property is held by the Winsford Archive. 
- <1> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 624 and 624a.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6960 Report: Fisher, J.. 2005. Winsford: Village Character Appraisal. 15, 16.
- <6> SEM8319 Leaflet: Various. 2004. A Winsford Anthology. 80.
- <7> SEM8357 Archive: Winsford History Society. Various. Winsford Archive.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9052 3495 (12m by 18m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Sep 28 2016 11:03AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.