MEM23580 - The Farm, Winsford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A large range of connected buildings are shown on the Winsford Tithe Map at SS 9042 3502. The central portion of the structures may or may not partially survive in the house named "The Farm" on modern MasterMap data , but further structures extended from this building to its east, south and particularly to the west. Further smaller buildings are arranged around this group to the southwest at SS 9038 3500 and SS 9039 3500, with two more sitting against the churchyard wall to the south at SS 9041 3500, SS 9044 3500 and two small square structures depicted at SS 9043 3504 and SS 9046 3503. The buildings are all situated within a group of land parcels labelled 609, which the accompanying Tithe Apportionment document describes as "House… Barton etc", owned by Sir Thomas Dyke Acland and occupied by William Pearse. [1,2] The farmstead is depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and labelled "Farm". By the time this map was surveyed, most of the buildings shown on the earlier map had been cleared. A large farmhouse at SS 9043 3502 may incorporate elements of the large range of buildings mentioned above shown on the Tithe Map and two smaller buildings are shown at SS 9038 3500 and 9046 3503, which may be the buildings depicted here on the Tithe Map or include elements of them. A small building is also depicted at SS 9045 3501. This arrangement appears to have continued until the present day, with only a few alterations or extensions to them being undertaken since this time. Once such alteration is that the main farmhouse has been subdivided by the time the 2nd Edition map was published and was then known as Farm Cottages, although this subdivision has since been removed. [2-4] To the rear of the Parish Church is a farmhouse, probably 18th Century. Interestingly it is shown as a farm on the first edition Ordnance Survey map (c.1888) but on the second edition map (c.1903) as two farm cottages. It is now restored to a single house with a long frontage, two stacks at each gable end and a large rear lateral stack. The gabled porch and three-light timber casement windows are probably of 19th Century origin. 
- <1> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 609.
- <2> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM6960 Report: Fisher, J.. 2005. Winsford: Village Character Appraisal. 15.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9044 3503 (141m by 107m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Jun 29 2016 12:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.