MEM23493 - Combe Cross / Kipscombe Cross signpost, Countisbury (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A guide post is marked on modern MasterMap data.  The signpost was visited in early 2016. It has a pyramid finial and the attached fingers read: BRENDON 1 PORLOCK 10 MINEHEAD 18 A39.  The site was visited as part of the Exmoor Signpost Survey 2017-8. The signpost is as described in .  A cast iron signpost pointing to Brendon from the A39 at Kipscombe Cross and is an exception amongst signposts in Devon, which are usually wooden, often featuring plastic fingers. SS 7614 4919. This is the only surviving cast iron signpost on the Devon side of Exmoor. Kipscombe Cross is named with a guide post on the c.1890 and 1904 [4,5]. It may also be known as Combe Cross, and this name is marked at the base of the post (common with Devon signposts). It has a Devon finial (marked with a D), and the arms and post are smaller than those produced by Sheldon Wells. 
- <1>XY SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #42699 ]
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Visit by S Sinden, February or March 2016.
- <3> SEM8519 Unpublished document: Various. 2017-8. Exmoor and West Somerset Main Signpost Survey. 26118250.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. c.1890.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. County Series; 2nd Edition (1st Revision) 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904.
- <6> SEM8643 Monograph: Blackman, H., Blaylock, S., Thomas, C. and Wall, N.. 2019. A field guide to Exmoor's traditional roadside fingerposts. Exmoor National Park Authority. 1st Edition. p 14, 26-7.
|Grid reference||SS 7614 4919 (point)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Signpost Project 2017-8 (D,E, F): 26118250
Record last edited
Jun 30 2022 10:09AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.