MEM23246 - Tabor Hill (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The North Molton Tithe Map does not show any buildings in this location; instead, it is depicted as the junction of three fields.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map depicts the farmyard and labels it "Tabor Hill". At this stage, the farmstead was in the form of a farmhouse at SS 7581 3263 with a yard to its south, framed by an L shaped range of farm buildings built abutting the western gable of the farmhouse and forming the northern and western sides of the yard. A small linear outbuilding is attached to the northern corner of the eastern gable of the farmhouse. This arrangement was still extant at the time the Royal Air Force took aerial photographs of the site in 1946-8 but since this time, the L shaped range has been demolished. The farmstead now has several large modern agricultural buildings arranged to the house's east and southeast. [2-5] The farmstead was seen from a distance in January 1997. The house was said to be plain and dated to the 19th Century, with one small rubble building sited on one end. The rest of the buildings were 20th Century in date. 
- <1> SEM7405 Map: 1841. North Molton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <5> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <6> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 184.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7581 3263 (59m by 59m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 184
Record last edited
Jan 14 2015 12:30PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.