MEM23245 - Higher South Radworthy (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for North Molton, consisting of a group of buildings arranged around a courtyard. This had been modified by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map had been surveyed, with at least the buildings forming the southwestern corner of the yard being demolished to make way for a new farmhouse and some alterations and additions being made to the site by this point. Some further small structures have been added to the ear of the site since the 2nd Edition map was published. [1-4] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. The house was said to be 19th Century and built of rubble, with a yard on the side of its eastern gable having three sides. The 19th Century rubble built farm buildings were described as "very simple, almost austere". Another, slightly larger range to the east again was noted to have brick openings. Some 20th Century sheds were also seen on the opposite side of the road. The farm was recorded as having 300 acres and being tenanted. 
- <1> SEM7405 Map: 1841. North Molton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 183.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7486 3269 (70m by 63m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2/1): 183
Record last edited
May 25 2018 11:53AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.