MEM23244 - Lower South Radworthy Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the North Molton Tithe Map. What is now the main house appears to have originally been a linear building abutting the road on its northern elevation, which had been modified by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was published. This shows the house has an Ordnance Survey bench mark on the western end of its northern elevation. The house forms a possible yard space to its south with an L shaped building to its south at SS 7481 3260, again shown on the Tithe Map. This latter building is also still extant but has been extended southwards on its western end since the 2nd Edition map was surveyed. A further building at SS 7478 3261 was first shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, orientated north to south and with a semicircular structure in the centre of its western elevation (possibly a horse engine house), suggesting this served as a barn. This may have replaced two L shaped buildings shown on the Tithe Map sited at c. SS 7478 3258 and SS 7479 3256, which had been removed by the later 19th Century and only a few small outbuildings are shown on the 1st Edition map in this location, although these have also been removed since this was published. [1-4] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. The house was suggested to be of 19th Century date, although its disposition was thought to imply earlier origins. The associated farm buildings had all been converted. 
- <1> SEM7405 Map: 1841. North Molton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 182.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7479 3259 (55m by 103m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 182
Record last edited
May 25 2018 11:53AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.