MEM23217 - East Lucott Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is depicted on the Stoke Pero Tithe Map and labelled "Eastern Lucott". At this time, it comprised an L shaped building, presumably the farmhouse, at SS 8662 4502 and some smaller outbuildings to its south and east.  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map had been surveyed, most of the farmkhouse appears to have been demolished and a new, much larger structure built to its north, at SS 8661 4503. This building may, however, have incorporated some of the fabric of the original house. A range of farm buildings had been constructed to the east and southeast of the new farmhouse, the most southern of which may include one of the buildings shown on the tithe map (at c. SS 8664 4502). This layout is repeated on the 2nd Edition map but since this date, many of the more northerly farm buildings have been demolished to accommodate an extension north of the southern building. The farmhouse itself has been reduced in size, with the northern end apparently demolished. [2-4] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. The house was thought to appear 18th or late 17th Century in date because of the incorporation of a nowy headed sundial on its front (though this may have been retained from the previous building). It was said to have been much resurfaced in the 20th Century. The remaining farm building to its east was said to be constructed of rubble with possible stone kneelers, with a 20th Century shed on the site of an ancient yard. 
- <1> SSO667 Map: 1841. Stoke Pero Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 155.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8663 4503 (61m by 64m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (1): 155
Record last edited
Jan 6 2015 2:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.