MEM23215 - West Lucott Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is depicted on the Stoke Pero Tithe Map and labelled "Western Luccott". It comprises the farmhouse (SS 8659 4502), with a parallel range built abutting its northeastern corner (SS 8659 4503) and a range of buildings across the lane to the south (SS 8659 4499), all of which are still apparently extant. A small outbuilding at SS 8658 4500 may have been reduced in size by the time of the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (or demolished and rebuilt on a smaller scale) but the new, smaller building also still appears to be extant. Also depicted on this map is a barn at SS 8658 4502, built at right angles to the farmhouse to form a yard. The farmstead was labelled "West Lucott" at this time and this is repeated on the 2nd Edition map. Since the 2nd Edition map was published, the site has been extended to the northwest and now appears to have been amalgamated with East Lucott Farm to form Lucott Farm. [1-4] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. The house was noted to have two big back lateral stacks, possibly of 17th Century date, and had been remodelled as a holiday house (with new fenestration). It fronts a cobbled yard with a nice 19th Century rubble building (now partially converted) attached at a right angle from its high end and the building to the farmhouse's northeast had been converted to a garage. A modest range of 19th Century buildings were noted to the south. The roofs were of slate and tin. 
- <1> SSO667 Map: 1841. Stoke Pero Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 155.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8658 4501 (60m by 67m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (1): 155
Record last edited
Jan 6 2015 2:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.