MEM23196 - Buckethole Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Porlock Tithe Map but is not labelled. At this time, it appears to have been composed of four buildings, two of which are apparently still extant in a similar (but possibly extended) form to their depiction on this map. These are two parallel farm buildings orientated north to south on either side of a yard, at SS 8714 4533 and SS 8715 4533. To the east of this is what appears to be a single large building at SS 8717 4533, which may be the historic core of the present farmhouse. However, it should be noted that this appears to have been knocked down or reduced to form two small separate buildings by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, when it was the site is labelled "Buckethole", and this layout is repeated on the 2nd Edition map. Both of these latter maps mark an Ordnance Survey bench mark on the eastern face of the southernmost building. They have again been extended (or knocked down and rebuilt) to form the modern farmhouse layout since this time. Further to the east, at c. SS 8719 4534 is apparently depicted another building, which has since been altered and extended. [1-4] The site was visited in January 1997 and was described as ancient. The house was said to probably have a historic core but it has since been altered. The two parallel farm buildings were noted to be built of stone rubble and date to the 19th Century or earlier but having many ad hoc changes. The rest of the site was said to include 20th Century sheds and recent accommodation for horses. 
- <1> SEM7162 Map: Cox, J. W.C.. 1841. Porlock Tithe Map and Apportionment. 13.3 inches : 1 mile.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 154.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8717 4532 (84m by 69m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 154
Record last edited
Dec 22 2014 4:34PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.